Sunday, March 25, 2007

My Pick of the Ovid's Litter

It was a hard choice of course, but the assignment was to pick my favorite story out of the Metamorphoses of Ovid, and I did just that....Pyramus and Thisbe. This story was similar qualities to Romeo and Juliet, being as the two lovers end up killing themselves for the other one. This seems to me to be a creation story, one of the great Mythos if you ask me, about how the Mulberry Berries came to be the dark red color. It was said that in the beginning...(I can always hear Dr. Sexson's deep narrator voice sound in my head when I say that...IN THE BEGINNING)....Anyways, it was said that the berries were white. These two neighbors were head over heels for each other but were forbidden by their parents to be together, and would talk to each other through a crack in the wall their homes shared. One night they had big plans to sneak out and meet. Thisbe arrived early and ran into a lion, as she ran to hide he shawl was dropped which was found and torn to shreds leaving blood from the animal the lion had just sparagmosed. Pyramus found the Shawl and believing the lion ate his lover he blamed himself for making her come in the night and killed himself under the Mulberry, and the blood was soaked up by the roots and changed color of the berries. The tragedy must come into play at some point right?? Well here it comes.....Thisbe finds her lover already dead, prays that there bodies be buried as one, and kills herself as well, and that my folks is how the Mulberry Bush berries turned red. ....."O tree, who now shade with your branches the poor body of one, and soon will shade two, keep the marks of our death and always bear your fruit of a dark colour as a memorial of our double death......." Although this story is rather sad, I must admit that I found it funny to picture these two crazy love birds talking to their walls and asking the wall why is was so jealous, asking the wall to open its crack just a tid bit more so they could give a little kiss :)

No comments: