Monday, April 2, 2007

Only Five Lines???

How is a person who has been asked to read the entire book of The Metamorphoses of Ovid supposed to pick and choose and narrow down 550 pages full of words into just five lines?? Well, since we were asked...I chose my five lines from my favorite story, Pyramus and Thisbe.
I let you be the first who would arrive.
O all you lions with your liars beneath
this cliff, come now, and with your fierce jaws feast
upon my wretched guts! But cowards talk
as I do--longing for their death but not prepared to act.

I chose these five lines because it is just such an ironic mix up of each of the characters thinking the other had died before she had, and then he killing him self because he let her show up first. Then she finds him and also kills herself. I just really like the end when Pyramus talks about how some lovers say they would rather die then be without their love, but not really mean it, calling them "cowards".....very true I think.

No comments: